How Good Is Swimming as an Exercise?
Swimming is an excellent form of exercising, there’s no doubt about it. Swimming can help shape your body, get you fit, improve your stamina… The list goes on. In short, swimming is amazing! The more often you swim, the better the results will be.
If you want to ensure success, just pay attention and try to prepare well for a swimming session. If you do that, there’s little else that can beat swimming at a fitness club with a swimming pool in San Diego. And here’s why!
Is swimming good for fitness?
No, swimming’s not good for fitness – swimming is a-ma-zing! And that’s with the capital A! When it comes to exercising, any exercising, swimming is always going to be at the top of our and, probably, everybody else’s list. Why?
Because swimming works your entire body, especially if you mix your swimming styles. There’s no muscle in your entire body that swimming won’t reach. Plus, it will increase the strength of your muscles, tone your body, and build your endurance.
Plus, as if there are endless plusses when it comes to swimming, it’s very gentle to your body. Water is buoyant, it provides little pressure to your joints while working your muscles, and the water pressure only increases all the fitness benefits.
Is swimming alone enough exercise?
We’re struggling to find reasons for a negative answer to this one, so… Yes, swimming definitely is enough for whole-body exercising. But us claiming that is one thing – us providing you with evidence that supports our theory is quite another matter entirely.
So, here are the top benefits of swimming that are going to show you that swimming’s not only enough if improving your overall fitness is your aim, but more than enough:
- Entire body: Yes, swimming, as we’ve already mentioned, works your entire body, especially if you include styles such as breaststroke, sidestroke, backstroke, and butterfly.
- Insides: Not only does swimming improve your muscles and fitness, but it also helps lower your blood pressure, helps regulate your blood sugar, and strengthens your entire cardiovascular system.
- Medical conditions: Swimming is rather gentle, which means it’s an excellent and suitable exercising method for people suffering from various medical conditions, including arthritis, MS, asthma, various physical injuries, as well as some disabilities.
- Calories: Additionally, swimming not only strengthens your muscles and tones your body, it absolutely destroys calories. It eradicates them!
- Sleep: Sleep is also necessary for improving your fitness, and swimming drastically improves the quality of your sleep.
- Stress: Also, swimming has a calming effect on your mind. The mere fact that you’re in or near water relaxes you, and being relaxed and unstressed also greatly benefits your body.
How much do you have to swim to get fit?
It’s not that much about how often and for how long you should swim in order to get fit. Yes, there’s that, certainly but, before actually thinking about organizing the length and the intensity of your swimming escapades, you should think about something else.
The most important thing about swimming is swimming properly. When it comes to swimming, it’s important to make the right movements the right way at the right time. As complicated as this may sound it really isn’t, especially with some help.
That is why the first thing you should do is take a couple of swimming lessons and see about correcting any potential mistakes you may be making. It is only after doing so that you should ponder how long your swimming sessions should be.
As for how long and how often – In the beginning, try to swim at least three times a week for thirty minutes. Then, as you continue to build your stamina up, add a day or two to your weekly schedule, and begin increasing the duration to 45 minutes and, finally, to an hour. And that’s it, nothing more to it!
What’s the best fitness club with a swimming pool in San Diego?
If you’re looking for a nice place to start your swimming, there’s only one place we can actually think of, and that’s The Plunge San Diego. Our swimming pool is in pristine condition, and our staff is the most knowledgeable in the business.
However, in these trying times, it’s difficult or impossible to even take a stroll to the Gaslamp Quarter, we know. But, contact us and we’ll see what we can do. Call us today!